The NFL Draft is a big day for NFL fans all over the country. Who is my team going to pick and what will that player do to help my team in our quest to become champions? Some teams might be one good draft pick away from being a legitimate title-contender. Other teams have many positional question marks that need to be filled. All in all, the draft can help eliminate some of those questions marks. This is my mock of how I see the draft going if it were held today:
1. St. Louis- QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
- The St. Louis Rams need a franchise quarterback and seem very impressed with Bradford. I really can’t see any other player being drafted here.
2. Detroit- DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
- Detroit GM Martin Mayhew has made it clear, “Talent must trump need at every pick,” and Suh is the most talented player on the board.
3. Tampa Bay- DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma
- Tampa Bay needs some steady penetration upfront. McCoy will be the most dominant DT they’ve had since they drafted Warren Sapp.
4. Washington- OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma St.
- After trading for QB Donovan McNabb, left tackle becomes the next position that needs answering. They may be tempted to groom QB Jimmy Clausen however.
5. Kansas City- S Eric Berry, Tennessee
- Kansas City might go offensive tackle here, but they could really use a player of Berry’s caliber. Another Ed Reed maybe?
6. Seattle- OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
- Seattle traded for QB Charlie Whitehurst, so left tackle is the pick rather than drafting Clausen. I think Seattle would jump at the chance to take S Eric Berry if he falls to them however.
7. Cleveland- WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma St.
- Cleveland is tough to figure out. They need a QB, but Holmgren claims he doesn’t want Clausen. They could reach for S Earl Clark here, but I think they’ll go with the top wide receiver.
8. Oakland- QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame
- Oakland missed out on McNabb. I think they’ve lost faith in JaMarcus Russell and haven’t shown enough confidence in Bruce Gradkowski. Clausen could be Al Davis’ new franchise QB.
9. Buffalo- OT Trent Williams, Oklahoma
- Even though Buffalo could use a QB, I’m not sure that they would draft Clausen if he fell to them. They do need to protect the QB they have, so they'll take an offensive tackle with this pick.
10. Jacksonville- DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech
- Jacksonville could go for S Earl Thomas here, but I think they'll go for a pass rusher to play opposite of newly-acquired DE Aaron Kampman. I think they be interested in Clausen here too if he falls.
11. Denver (from Chi.)- LB Rolando McClain, Alabama
- Denver could reach a little here and draft a needed center with Maurkice Pouncey, but it will be hard to turn down McClain…especially after they released starter Andra Davis.
12. Miami- LB Sergio Kindle, Texas
- With DT Jason Ferguson being suspended for the first 8 games, Miami could go for DT Dan Williams here. However, they also need to replace Joey Porter, who led the team in sacks the past two seasons.
13. San Francisco- CB Joe Haden, Florida
- While offensive tackle is also a need, it will be hard to turn down the best corner in the draft here, which is also a need.
14. Seattle (from Den.)- S Earl Thomas, Texas
- Hinging on the fact that Berry didn’t fall to Seattle at #6, it would be hard not to see the Seahawks draft Thomas here if he’s still on the board.
15. NY Giants- RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson
- Surprised to see Spiller still on the board and with McClain already gone, the Giants will bypass reaching for a player here and go with the top RB.
16. Tennessee- DE Jason Pierre-Paul, South Florida
- With Vanden Bosch signing with Detroit this offseason, Tennessee needs some young blood to rush the passer.
17. San Francisco (from Car.)- OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers
- The 49ers will be happy to take an offensive tackle here after getting the top corner at #13.
18. Pittsburgh- C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida
- With Haden expectedly off the board at this point, Pittsburgh will address the offensive line by drafting the top center that can also play guard if he is still here. Mike Iupati will also be a possibility here if Pouncey is gone.
19. Atlanta- DE Brandon Graham, Michigan
- After addressing their biggest need by signing CB Dunta Robinson this offseason, Atlanta will address their need for a better pass rush by drafting Graham.
20. Houston- CB Kareem Jackson, Alabama
- Houston needs to replace Dunta Robinson, and Jackson is probably the best corner on the board at this point.
21. Cincinnati- DT Dan Williams, Tennessee
- Cincinnati has other needs, but it will be hard to turn down a talent like Williams. TE Jermaine Gresham is another possibility here.
22. New England- DT/DE Jared Odrick, Penn St.
- If Miami takes DT Dan Williams and Kindle falls to this spot, the Patriots will take him. With Kindle already off the board, I hear the Pats are quite fond of Odrick and will select him here.
23. Green Bay- OT Charles Brown, USC
- Green Bay needs to protect Rodgers better and will go for an offensive tackle. With all of his athletic ability, S Taylor Mays could be an alternative with this pick.
24. Philadelphia- OG Mike Iupati, Idaho
- Philadelphia had some injuries on their offensive line this past season, and will address them with this pick. CB Kyle Wilson and LB Sean Weatherspoon are also options.
25. Baltimore- CB Kyle Wilson, Boise St.
- Baltimore had injuries to both their starters last season and will look for a quality corner should it happen again or one not return to form from injury.
26. Arizona- LB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
- Arizona has a need for an ILB after the departure of Karlos Dansby. While Weatherspoon is an OLB, he is solid against the run and just might fit the bill.
27. Dallas- OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland
- After releasing Flozell Adams and wanting an upgrade at left tackle, Dallas might be interested in taking a chance on Campbell.
28. San Diego- RB Jahvid Best, California
- The Chargers need a running back to replace LaDainian Tomlinson and compliment Darren Sproles. Best might be that guy. With a need at nose tackle, the massive Terrence Cody could also be the pick.
29. NY Jets- LB/DE Jerry Hughes, TCU
- Vernon Gholston hasn’t been the pass-rush force the Jets were hoping for. The Jets will be looking for someone to fill that void…possibly Hughes.
30. Minnesota- CB Devin McCourty, Rutgers
- Minnesota’s secondary was exposed in the NFC title game. Look for them to address that by drafting a corner. While Taylor Mays is also an option here, there has been talk that the Vikings could even be interested in Colt McCoy with this pick.
31. Indianapolis- OT Rodger Saffold, Indiana
- The Colts offensive line was a little suspect at times last season. Look for them to address that with this pick.
32. New Orleans- DE Everson Griffen, USC
- With the release of DE Charles Grant, look for the Saints to draft a defensive end that can get to the quarterback.
(Photo from husker.com)